[jsword-devel] web sites

Joe Walker joe at eireneh.com
Fri Aug 13 15:54:08 MST 2004

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to fix the current scheme first.

The reasoning is that our build system is complex. (And that is just
life I think, build systems that work across several projects just are.
If you care about a layered system then you have separate source
directories, which means a complex build)

Since the build system is complex is is frequently broken - I think it
must be the single item most likely to be broken that we have. build.xml
generally has the highest rev# on any project that I've worked on.

BUT on the other hand some of the most important files that we have are
the website, and there is no compile check before we commit to make sure
that the website is not broken.

A wiki would:
- break the dependency of the website on the build system
- shorten the distance between the edit and the view.

In answer to specific points from Paul and DM:
- The bug is "the website is unstable", and it makes the code easier to
maintain by allowing us to spend less time on the website.
- We can export all the data from snipsnap into xml, and then check it
into CVS using cron. This would give us some history should we need it.
- SnipSnap can be switched to disallow public contribution and to remove
the comment link, giving us total control over all the content.

Point taken about "not now", but I think it would be a good idea for the
future.

Joe.