[jsword-devel] Verse markup in OSIS modules

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 22:00:21 MST 2004

I misunderstood an example in OSIS 2.0 User's Manual where I saw:
And I thought that the p tag was being used to markup verses.
According to the manual the use here indicates what verses are
contained. I am not sure how such an attribute would be useful.

WRT to sID and eID verse milestones being a best practice. All I saw in
the OSIS User Manual section 11 was a rule that within a document that
one either uses a verse container model or a verse milestone model but
not both.

Since structural markup can span several verses and even split verses it
seems to me that any richly tagged Bible will have to use the verse
milestone model.

The same document said that there are various levels of conformance.
Each level of conformance required more and more elements. And I think
level 2 conformance elements (poetry, paragraphs, block quotes, ...)
imply that verse milestones will be used.

But I did not find any place that stated milestones was a best practice.
Section 11 stated that the verse container model was the norm. Can you
point me to such a statement? I would appreciate it.

WRT to using verse markup as the means of rendering verse numbers, I am
not sure I fully understand. If I go to the OSIS portal and download a
Bible and then render a chapter of it in XSLT, what would I use to
render the verse number? And if two or more verses are spanned by a
single verse element how would that be rendered? E.g. (from the manual)
<verse sID="Esth.1.1-Esth.1.2" osisID="Esth.1.1 Esth.1.2" n="1-2"/>
King Xerxes of Persia lived in his capital city of Susa and ruled one
hundred twenty-seven provinces from India to Ethiopia.
<verse eID="Esth.1.1-Esth.1.2"/>

(As I re-read all this I think it comes across as argumentative, but I
don't mean it to be. I really am looking for a greater understanding of
OSIS.)