[jsword-devel] Verse markup in OSIS modules

Joe Walker joe at eireneh.com
Sun Aug 8 01:49:00 MST 2004

 From a verse markup point of view:
There is a future discussion on alternative verse markups, and one
possible solution is to have the Russian Bible return the same original
text translated and the English, but with different verse boundaries. So
the Key to lookup is defined in terms of English, but the markup
returned is defined in terms of the visible data.

 From a theoretical touchy feely point of view:
PassageAbstractBook does not feel like the best place to deal with
module encoding issues to me, it would make more sense to ask the
filters to do it, or maybe SwordBook is different enough that it should
have it's own copy of that method.

 From an OSIS point of view:
It sounds like verse milestones are the only really sensible way to
handle complex markup, and using milestones helps get out of the issues
of how paragraph markers and verse markers should be used. The fact that
we currently use verse container elements has complicated our XSL in
handling paragraphs. So verse milestone feels like a better solution for us.

All of these say that verses should be the domain of the filters and not
PassageAbstractBook.

I suppose question 2 is should we swap to verse milestones before v1.0
or after, and I guess that depends on how bit the change is.