[jsword-devel] Verse markup in OSIS modules

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Aug 6 16:31:31 MST 2004

DM Smith wrote:

> The reason to look for an osisID is that <verse> is not the only way to
> specify a verse according to OSIS 2.0. The various filters should not
> care whether the data came from a Sword module or from some other system.

I don't understand what you mean here.  There are two valid ways to
as a pair of milestones (<verse sID="..."/>...<verse eID="..."/>), but
the only way to specify a verse is with the <verse> element.
Furthermore, if you are creating best practice OSIS, there is only one
way to encode verses: <verse/> milestones.  (In other words, the WLC
module, while valid, is not best practice-conformant.)

> I did some more reading of the sword-devel archives and it seems that
> there is a bit of disagreement on whether the stored text should contain
> verse markup.
>
> If WLS is any indication on the final disposition of that disagreement,
> then the OSIS modules should be fully marked up.

It indicates nothing and the jury is still out.  But I think the
disagreement is less about whether text should contain verse markup and
more about whether the markup should be used as the basis for rendering
verse numbers.

--Chris