[jsword-devel] Source size

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 07 May 2003 10:40:45 +0100

Hi,

Troy - the executive summary of this is I'd like to create a cvs
module/project called jsword-support (at the same level as jsword) It
would contain things stuff closely related to jsword.
I think I can do it technically, but I want to make sure it is OK with you.

I'm constantly looking for ways to make the project size smaller.
Currently the source download is 12Mb which is huge, and except for my
recent trimming it would have been nearer 20Mb!

The core problem is that I've collected lots of "useful stuff" that it
not 100% directly related to the jsword source, but very handy.

The biggest trim was removing all the sources of projects that we depend
on.  The loss is that when debugging you can't step into depended on
classes etc.
I've also removed the UML directory that held some Together UML models
of JSword.
The next thing to go will be the tools directory that isn't needed by
JSword directly, but is needed to do a full build. It contains things
like JDepend, PMD, etc. And after that will be the compressed KJV data
source.

When I say remove, I really mean move into a directory on my PC called
jsword-support, and I think this should be checked into CVS for the use
of serious developers.

Thoughts anyone?

Joe.