[jsword-devel] Source size

Cameron Braid jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 7 May 2003 20:29:16 +1000

Some good ideas :

See inline comments

I think this is a good idea, as long as these files are also published to a
FTP or web site to be able to be downloaded one at a time.

> I'm constantly looking for ways to make the project size smaller.
> Currently the source download is 12Mb which is huge, and
> except for my
> recent trimming it would have been nearer 20Mb!
>
> The core problem is that I've collected lots of "useful
> stuff" that it
> not 100% directly related to the jsword source, but very handy.
>
> The biggest trim was removing all the sources of projects
> that we depend
> on.  The loss is that when debugging you can't step into depended on
> classes etc.

For this, I suggest that you zip em up and place them in the jsword-support
repo, and also publish them as mentioned above.  This will allow ppl to
download the src zips, and in eclipse associate them with the binary JARs to
enable src browsing / debugging

> I've also removed the UML directory that held some Together
> UML models
> of JSword.

Also a good idea to store in cvs - that way they are versioned... Though
also good to publish to web.

> The next thing to go will be the tools directory that isn't needed by
> JSword directly, but is needed to do a full build. It contains things
> like JDepend, PMD, etc. And after that will be the compressed
> KJV data
> source.

I don't think that you need to necessarily store these in the jsword-support
repo.. You could have a web page with links to their downloads.