[xiphos-users] How to fit xiphos onto linux Pinephone screen?

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Tue Aug 31 18:04:32 EDT 2021

On 8/31/21 2:56 PM, Nels Tomlinson wrote:
> How can I change the width of the bible text area so that it is no
> wider than the screen?

The short answer is that you probably can't.

The long answer is that we have had requests since The Dawn Of Net.Time
for re-arrangements of Xiphos' main window to fit smaller and smaller
and yet ever smaller screens, and the current truly minimalist size
limits are /still/ not small enough for some folks.

The deeper problem is that Xiphos is a full-featured, heavyweight,
massive resource occupation kind of application, and it was never
envisioned as an app that anybody would want to use on a phone. It
pre-dates the invention of the smartphone by about 7 years. There simply
isn't a sensible way to look at its expected usage pattern -- Bible +
commentary + dictionary + tab-separated collections of all these+
sidebar + menubar, all visible at once -- and shoehorn it into a
phone-sized screen. Xiphos works well in the environment of a normal
display where there is legitimately large real estate with which to
work, where all that real estate and all those resources are usable
together.

Your one possible saving throw is that you can turn off the sidebar
entirely from the View menu.