[xiphos-devel] 4.2.0 tagged and pushed

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri May 8 16:27:11 MST 2020

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 6:20 PM Caleb Maclennan <caleb at alerque.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 2:02 AM Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org>
> wrote:
>
>> If any of it has modtimes longer than maybe 6 months ago, it's too old to
>> be interesting or worthwhile.
>>

> The range is 2009-2012.
>
> That's a wee bit longer than 6 months ago unless my brain is having a hard
> time with math at 2 am.
>
> Maybe Greg can comment to this better than I can, but I believe all the
> packages in a PPA have tags for which version of Ubuntu they are targeting
> and that if people add this existing PPA to a machine updated in the last
> decade they won't even see any of these packages. Is that right? This stuff
> is all targeting 8.04 through 12.04.

I believe so. It's like in Fedora and probably most other versioned distros
- copies of files for each distro are typically contained within
directories named for it so you can have a path to the repo base and then
just tell it "go to $version/$arch/$release_stream" or whatever. I left the
Ubuntu/Debian world probably back around 2012 because their packaging
system (not the repos, per say, but the actual packaging directory you need
to keep) is an absolute nightmare and the tooling at the time was
attrocious compared to RPM building which took only a spec file to get done.

Every time I've looked again to see if it's gotten better, it hasn't. So I
moved to Fedora and I've loved everything about it - from the ease of
package maintenance to the much more friendly and welcoming user and
developer environment.

> The package list in question is here:
> https://launchpad.net/~pkgcrosswire/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
>
> I don't currently have access to nuke individual packages (although oddly
> enough it looks like I could drop the whole PPA). I think I can freshen up
> the Sword & Xiphos targeting 20.04 and I guess add BibleSync and GTKHTML.

Agreed with Karl - either nuke it, or just add packages for the new
versions and ignore what came before. All those old packages are worthless
these days. Even 16.04 is nearing end of life, so 12.04 and earlier are
worthless to even look at updating.

Burn it all with fire.

--Greg