[xiphos-devel] getting a new release out

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 13:55:37 MST 2020

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 3:50 PM Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org> wrote:

> It's been over 2 years since 4.1.0. Obviously, that's way too long. This
> is my fault, of course.
>
> In this time, we've gotten a new build system, and there's been a slew of
> bug fixes. Nothing new and huge, architecturally speaking, the way that
> (say) av11n kicked us up to v4, for example. So what needs to go out is
> 4.1.1. I have thoughts about bigger things that need to be done afterward
> (notably, the editor; and Abbrev needs a serious re-work) that might lead
> to enough change to justify calling it 4.2.
>
> From today's state of things, what needs to be done before we can put out
> 4.1.1?
>
> - For any Xiphos release prior to the next Sword release, ours needs to
> include the intro material revert .diff.

If you can mutter the proper svn command to me or post the actual diff file
here, I can get that added to both MinGW and native Fedora packages. Other
packagers might appreciate it, too

- There may be some peculiar machinations around Windows build due to that
> diff, the current state of other mingw packages (BibleSync needs to be
> built with Xiphos right now), and maybe Greg knows of other things.

I know of thing else regarding Windows that *needs* to happen

- I need to understand how the version stamp thing happens, now that
> Caleb's source_version.txt is in play. We simply tag just prior to doing
> github release?

I'm working on fully automating that, so all you have to do is tag the
commit in the repo and it will do all the releasing for you. Look for a PR
in the next few days to handle that. Once that's done a release will be as
simple as:

git tag v4.1.1
git push --tag

--Greg