[sword-devel] Making better use of the CrossWire GitHub project ?

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Sun Feb 18 14:51:25 EST 2024

On Sun Feb 18, 2024 at 8:57 AM CET, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> The SVN site for libsword is the current, not old. It is just
> that very little changes over long stretches. Libsword is 30

Is it? The oldest revision in SVN I can find
(https://git.cepl.eu/cgit/sword/commit/?id=44ffa2f5aa5f)) is from
Tue May 4 22:03:32 1999? Is that just the time of CVS2SVN
conversion? Are there archives of the actual CVS somewhere? It
would be nice to include them to git as well.

It seems there was something on Sourceforge
(https://sourceforge.net/p/sword/cvs/), but it is most likely
gone.

> + year old and does its job. Errors and bugs get corrected ,
> big proposals happen once in a long while and then come into
> the code. Development happens in spurts, once every few years
> currently - but as users (other projects) are on disparate
> platforms consensus is needed.

Sorry, I completely agree with Arnaud here. This is just an
excuse: I am quite certain I am not the only one, who just
gave up proposing changes to libsword (e.g., new v11n for the
Protestant Deuterocanonic Bibles) when all my suggestinos were
ignored. There are many projects who are similarly very lightly
manned (to say it mildly; and I am or I was a maintainer on few
of these) and yet there is more life in them than in libsword.

No, I am not saying that just switching to git will fix all our
problems, it is just a sign of them not their cause, but bigger
visibility of the project would certainly not hurt.

Thank you for all your care your spent on the project so far, and
my blessings go with you!

Matěj

http://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, @mcepl at floss.social
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Reading after a certain age diverts the mind too much from its
creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own
brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking, just as the
man who spends too much time in the theater is tempted to be
content with living vicariously instead of living his own life.
  -- Albert Einstein to The Saturday Evening Post, October 1929