[sword-devel] Licensing audit of SWORD for Fedora - sharing results with upstream

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 08:05:00 EDT 2023

Aaron,

As the previous maintainer who dropped support, thank you for picking it
up. I have moved on from being a Fedora user (NixOS these days) and was no
longer maintaining those packages nor the apps that depend on it. I am,
however, the pumpkin holder for the Python and Perl bindings. If you want
to submit a patch to us that gets those working again I would be happy to
include it upstream.

Any files under the cmake folder were contributed by me. Those noting a
license were taken from later CMake versions and would match licenses
there. The FindXZ file is my original contribution and is under the GPLv2
like all other original SWORD code.

The gSOAP and Objective-C bindings should be safe to remove in Fedora as
there is no need for them there.

The win32 files would only affect the MinGW build of sword in Fedora, which
was not retired as it was unaffected by the Python changes.

ftpparse is a constant thorn in our side whenever people become hung up on
the commercial clause. While not strictly necessary to SWORD, as HTTP and
HTTPS are supported if the library is built with cURL support, it would be
a huge loss of functionality for most users. It probably is time to
consider rewriting their functionality.

The Android jar file is also unnecessary for your packaging and you can
safely delete it. And the whole pqa folder for diatheke should be tossed.
Likely at the SVN level, as I'm sure we are not building Palm binaries
anymore.

Hope that helps.

--Greg