[sword-devel] Licensing audit of SWORD for Fedora - sharing results with upstream

Aaron Rainbolt arraybolt3 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 01:05:30 EDT 2023

Good morning/evening, and thanks for your time.

Recently SWORD was removed from Fedora 39 because of a bug relating to
the python bindings (it's still using distutils rather than setuptools,
which needed to be fixed, but the maintainer didn't fix it in time). I'm
attempting to get SWORD back into Fedora by fixing the issue, but as the
package was already retired, I'm preparing to reintroduce it as if it
were being added for the first time. For the sake of making things go
smoothly, I did a full licensing audit on the SWORD source code to
ensure that all licenses were compliant with Fedora's requirements.

Some of the results of this audit were less-than-ideal, so I thought I
would share the results with you so that you can take any measures you
deem appropriate. I'm in the process of resolving these issues in Fedora.

* There are several files under sword-1.9.0/cmake that have unclear
licenses (referring to "the BSD license" but without specifying which
version, and telling the user to look at a file that doesn't exist for
the license details). I *believe* these files are licensed under
BSD-3-Clause, as I found the original source for all but one of them,
however I could not find the original source for
sword-1.9.0/cmake/FindXZ.cmake.

* The gSOAP bindings contain a file,
sword-1.9.0/bindings/gsoap/include/stdsoap.h, which has no license and
an "All rights reserved" notice.

* The Objective-C bindings have a similar problem - the following files
under sword-1.9.0/bindings/objc all have no license and an "All rights
reserved" notice:
    - ObjCSword.h
    - src/Notifications.h (yes I realize this file consists entirely of
comments but this is still worrying)
    - src/SwordBibleBook.h
    - src/SwordBibleBook.m
    - src/SwordBibleChapter.h
    - src/SwordBibleChapter.m
    - src/SwordBibleTextEntry.h
    - src/SwordBibleTextEntry.m
    - src/SwordInstallSource.h
    - src/SwordInstallManager.h
    - src/SwordInstallManager.mm
    - src/SwordInstallSource.mm
    - src/SwordKey.h
    - src/SwordKey.m
    - src/SwordListKey.h
    - src/SwordListKey.mm
    - src/SwordLocaleManager.h
    - src/SwordLocaleManager.mm
    - src/SwordModuleIndex.h
    - src/SwordModuleIndex.m
    - src/SwordModuleTextEntry.h
    - src/SwordModuleTextEntry.m
    - src/SwordTreeEntry.h
    - src/SwordTreeEntry.m
    - src/SwordVerseKey.h
    - src/SwordVerseKey.mm
    - src/SwordVerseManager.h
    - src/SwordVerseManager.m
    - src/VerseEnumerator.h
    - src/VerseEnumerator.m
    - src/services/Configuration.h
    - src/services/Configuration.m
    - src/services/iOSConfiguration.h
    - src/services/iOSConfiguration.m
    - src/services/OSXConfiguration.h
    - src/services/OSXConfiguration.m
    - SWORD/SWORD/SWORD.h
    - SWORD/SWORD/SWORD.m
    - test/SwordListKeyTest.h
    - test/SwordListKeyTest.m
    - test/SwordModuleLongRunTest.h
    - test/SwordModuleLongRunTest.mm
    - test/SwordModuleTest.h
    - test/SwordModuleTest.m

* Two files under sword-1.9.0/src/utilfuns/win32 are under non-free
licenses - they prohibit the sale of media containing those files for
anything greater than the cost of distribution.

* The files sword-1.9.0/include/ftpparse.h and
sword-1.9.0/src/utilfuns/ftpparse.c are under informal non-free licenses
prohibiting commercial use unless the copyright owner is informed of
what program uses the files. This code appears to be critical to SWORD's
functionality (as FTP is used for module downloading), so I have
attempted to contact the author and ask that ftpparse be relicensed to
0BSD (which should be compatible with the licenses in SWORD).

In addition to the above, I discovered some pre-built binary files
floating around:
    - sword-1.9.0/bindings/Android/SWORD/gradle/wrapper/gradle-wrapper.jar
    - sword-1.9.0/utilities/diatheke/pqa/Diatheke.pqa

While these aren't strictly a problem, they do have to be removed in
Fedora. You might consider removing them from your SVN repo if possible
and not too inconvenient.

I hope this message finds you all doing well! God bless, and thanks for
all the work you've put into the SWORD Project!