[sword-devel] Where is the source code for individual SWORD modules?

Aaron Rainbolt arraybolt3 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 03:27:56 EDT 2023

On 10/21/23 02:20, Timothy Allen wrote:
> On 21/10/23 16:48, Aaron Rainbolt wrote:
>> mod2imp claims to be able to generate LaTeX (something like `mod2imp
>> -r LATEX AKJV`) but at least the Ubuntu build of libsword-utils
>> mod2imp is broken in this regard - any time I try to use any of the
>> filters, it tells me "mod2imp: Unknown argument: LATEX" or something
>> similar for every single possible output format (OSIS, XHTML, RTF, etc.).
>
> That's because it doesn't use a flexible argument parser like getopt
> or similar. When the help text says:
>
>     usage: mod2imp <module_name> [options]
>
> ...it really means it, the options have to go *after* the module name,
> not before:
>
>     mod2imp -r LATEX AKJV # fails with "Unknown argument"
>
>     mod2imp AKJV -r LATEX # succeeds

Oh. That explains a lot :P My brain is so used to tools expecting the
last argument to be the source file that I read the "<module_name>" and
"[options]" part backwards and thought it expected the module name at
the end. So... lesson learned, thank you for catching my silly mistake.

> ...although in this case, the IMP markup and the LaTeX markup get a
> bit mixed and it's not the easiest to work with. You may have better
> luck with the example command-line SWORD tool, diatheke:
>
>     diatheke -b AKJV -f LATEX -k Genesis

I ended up writing a small tool in C# that parsed the IMP markup and
spit out incomplete LaTeX code. I used Mono to run the tool under Linux,
then took the output and pasted it into a "skeleton" document I had
written earlier. (The IMP markup for the AKJV module was really simple
thanks to the simplicity of the module itself so it ended up being
pretty easy.) If anyone's interested in the end result I got, I'm happy
to share it. I think it came out pretty good.

Aaron