[sword-devel] Where is the source code for individual SWORD modules?

Timothy Allen thristian at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 01:33:25 EDT 2023

On 21/10/23 15:15, Aaron Rainbolt wrote:
> I don't know if I'm just blind or if these aren't public, but I cannot
> find the OSIS (or whatever format) code for individual SWORD modules
> in the Crosswire repository. Specifically I'm trying to find the
> source for the AKJV module.

I get the impression the SWORD project has a lot of different
contributors with different work-flow preferences, so there's no Central
Repository of All Modules or anything like that. When I'm looking for
the source of a module (for example, to find out how some particular
feature or style was implemented) and the module's description doesn't
cite a source, I look in the following locations:

  * https://git.crosswire.org/explore
  * https://gitlab.com/crosswire-bible-society/

The AKJV specifically does not appear in either of those locations. Its
description text mentions the URL http://www.inspiredidea.com/akj.htm
which no longer exists, but the earliest version on the Wayback Machine
(2001-02-06) only points to CrossWire as the only official distribution
source. I suspect that the person who made this version is also the
person who provided the module to CrossWire and the source might never
have been publicly accessible. Later revisions of the page (up to about
2004) do provide a ZIP of the text, but the modification date inside the
archive is 2001, and the CrossWire module claims to have been made in
2007 (and be "version 1.4") so it's probably not the actual source text.

mod2imp works, but I don't like to use it to inspect modules because it
only reports what comes *out* of the osis2mod compiler, not what went
into it.

If you really want the text of the AKJV specifically, mod2imp may well
be your best bet at extracting the text.

If you just want the King James Version updated to more modern language,
you may be interested in the American Standard Version (1901)[1], or the
World English Bible[2] which is available in many formats from USFM to
Microsoft Word to XeTeX.

Timothy

[1]: https://gitlab.com/crosswire-bible-society/asv

[2]: https://worldenglish.bible/