[sword-devel] CrossWire and git

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 09:40:57 EDT 2023

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023, 06:41 Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> GitLab vs GitLab
>
> [image: image3-1.png]
>
> GitLab vs GitHub: Top 10 Differences between GitHub and GitLab
> <https://intellipaat.com/blog/gitlab-vs-github-difference/>
> intellipaat.com
> <https://intellipaat.com/blog/gitlab-vs-github-difference/>
> <https://intellipaat.com/blog/gitlab-vs-github-difference/>
>
> There is plenty more but this gives a decent summary. GitLab allows
> private repos which I think are a really useful thing. I think it should
> also be easier to integrate our own GitLab stuff or move it if we want to

This comparison is quite dated (for instance, GitHub definitely has CI/CD
integrated nowadays, and GitLab is by no means buggy and slow), but I also
would support GitLab over GitHub as our definitive location simply on the
principle of it being FOSS instead of closed source hosting.

It does have an identical Code owners feature to GitHub with the same
syntax and location. I'm not sure if it's available in the self hosted/free
versions or if it is one of their premium features. I'm getting conflicting
information on that.

It does support automatic mirroring, so it would be easy for us to self
host the official repository but still allow automated mirrors on GitHub
and the public GitLab for ease of contribution by others.

--Greg