[sword-devel] transChange element

Tobias Klein contact at tklein.info
Tue Dec 12 02:45:15 EST 2023

On 12/11/23 5:47 PM, pinoaffe wrote:
>> Would you suggest to change any of these for making the tooltip easier
>> to read?
> First of all, the phrase "Words added for modern readers, where in the
> original the meaning was implied", doesn't account for the case where
> words were changed rather than added
>
> In general, I think rephrasing these tooltips as full sentences would be
> preferrable, e.g. something along the lines of
>
> - (added) "These words were added in translation" or
> - (added) "These words do not directly correspond to words in the source text"
> - (amplified) "These words are amplifications of information in the source text"
> - (changed) "These words were changed in translation"
> - (deleted) "Some words in the source text are not present in the translation" or
> - (deleted) "Some words in the source text do not directly correspond to any words in the translation"
> - (implied) "These words were added or changed to translate information implied by the source text" or
> - (implied) "These words were added or changed to translate information implied by (but not explicitly stated in) the source text"
> - (moved) "These words were moved in translation" or
> - (moved) "These words were in another location in the source text"
> - (tense-change) "The gramatical tense of these words was changed in order to facilitate translation"
>
>> This will then become the basis for translating the tooltip to other languages as well.
> I think that having full sentences helps convey the tooltip meaning more
> clearly and that such sentences are more easy to translate to other
> languages

Thank you, that's helpful feedback! I'll consider your suggestions and
update the English locale accordingly.

How about the grammatical number of the words in the transChange
element: In your proposals, the tooltips/explanations are all plural
("These words"). When I look at examples in the Bible text, though I
often see only one word that is italic. Should we have singular/plural
variants of the tooltips? It is possible to detect dynamically how many
words are in the transChange element and determine the right tooltip
accordingly.

Best regards,
Tobias