[sword-devel] Module release: BSB

Timothy Allen thristian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 00:09:47 EST 2023

Thank you for the kind words! My hope is that the BSB module would be
useful enough and complete enough to be recommended by SWORD apps, or
even (due to its liberal licensing) installed by default.

Xiphos should know what Strongs number is associated with each lemma (it
draws them in the right place, after all), so in theory it should be
possible for clicking on the lemma to look up the associated Strongs
number with no change to the module. I'm rather fond of AndBible's
approach where clicking a word looks up all the associated metadata
(lemmas, Strongs numbers, grammar codes, etc.) in all available
dictionaries, since the odds of a Strongs number being a valid grammar
code or a grammar code being a valid lemma are extremely low - but that
would probably be a bigger change.

There's one other piece of data included in the translation table
spreadsheet that isn't yet included in the BSB module - grammar codes.
The BSB is marked up with somewhat proprietary codes for Hebrew and
Greek, while the SWORD Project ecosystem seems to have settled on Open
Scriptures Hebrew Bible codes for Hebrew, and Robinson codes for Greek.
Since both kinds of Hebrew codes model the same rules of Hebrew grammar,
and both kinds of Greek codes model the same rules of Greek grammar, it
should be possible to translate between them, it's just a lot of work
and although I've had some ideas about how to help automate the process,
I've been distracted by other things.

The other thing that occurred to me is the possibility of creating a
more straightforward interlinear Bible, with the source text as the base
and the English as the "gloss". That would allow the source text to be
presented in its natural order (instead of following the order of
English grammar), but it would *also* be a lot of work and I'm not sure
if it would actually be very useful.

Timothy.