[sword-devel] SWORD module installation bug

Tobias Klein contact at tklein.info
Sun Nov 13 03:55:01 EST 2022

I could just reproduce this issue.

I have a test user with an older set of SWORD modules and by keeping a
backup of the .sword directory I could switch back to the state before
the module update.

Once I applied the module update again ... I had the same issue as
described below.

The way how I have implemented the module update is by simply running
installModule on top of an existing installation. Is that an invalid
approach?

What I will now do next is add an explicit InstallMgr::removeModule()
call before re-installing the new version.

If that's what's needed - maybe there should be an upgradeModule()
method? Or alternatively the installModule() should return with an error
code when the given module is already installed?

This may also explain how I ran into this before ... I have an e2e
integration test suite of Ezra Bible App. And that test suite
automatically runs through the module installation process as one of the
test scenarios. It doesn't cleanup the .sword directory initially,
though. Which means that it installs modules on top of existing modules
... and that's where I may have seen this issue before as well!

Best regards,
Tobias