[sword-devel] Qetiv/Kere in output ?

pierre amadio amadio.pierre at gmail.com
Fri May 6 02:24:10 EDT 2022

Hi there !

I have a problem dealing with Qere and ketiv
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qere_and_Ketiv) with xml/html output.

In the Hebrew bible, there are some words that are pronounced,
according to the tradition, in a different way than what is actually
written.

There is the ketiv what is written, and the qere, what is read out lout.

There is such a thing in Ruth 1.8

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/ruth/1-8.htm

Ketiv: יעשה
Qere: (יַעַשׂ)

The Osis file shows this:
<w lemma="strong:H06213" morph="oshm:HVqi3ms"
type="x-ketiv">יעשה</w><note
type="variant"><catchWord>יעשה</catchWord><rdg type="x-qere"><w

The plain output of diatheke show both entry in bracket as a footnote:

diatheke -b OSHB -o cvfa -f plain -k Ruth 1.8
Ruth 1:8: וַתֹּ֤אמֶר נָעֳמִי֙ לִשְׁתֵּ֣י כַלֹּתֶ֔יהָ לֵ֣כְנָה
שֹּׁ֔בְנָה אִשָּׁ֖ה לְבֵ֣ית אִמָּ֑הּ יעשה [יעשהיַ֣עַשׂ]  יְהוָ֤ה
עִמָּכֶם֙ חֶ֔סֶד כַּאֲשֶׁ֧ר עֲשִׂיתֶ֛ם עִם־הַמֵּתִ֖ים וְעִמָּדִֽי׃
(OSHB)

I do not see the same information in the html or xhtml or osis output:
$ diatheke -b OSHB -o cvfa -f FMT_HTML -k Ruth 1.8

<w  savlm="strong:H06213" type="x-ketiv">יעשה</w><note
swordFootnote="1" type="variant"></note>

Is there a way to get a xml/html output that let me get access to both
qere and ketiv form ?

If not, is that a Sword bug that should be open, or could it be dealt
with in the way the Osis file is formatted in the first place ?