[sword-devel] OEB information about update?

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Thu Jul 28 19:20:51 EDT 2022

On 2022-07-28, 20:47 GMT, Michael Johnson wrote:
> I did have to preprocess the USFM to correct two USFM
> nonconformities: (1) Every chapter must start with some sort
> of paragraph marker. If no new paragraph is intended, \nb must
> be specified. Usually, \p is appropriate, unless it is poetry,
> then \q1 might be. (2) \b cannot contain any text, but only
> signifies a blank line. Another paragraph style (usually \p but
> could be \q1 or \m or ...) should follow it. I fixed both by
> inserting \p in the "holes" in the markup. If that isn't the
> intended fix, please fix it in the repo, and let me know so I
> can run the process again.

Could you make a pull request of your changes back to OEB
community? If not, I can help you with it.

> As far as removing outdated modules from Crosswire Main where a
> more up-to-date version exists on eBible.org, I agree that would
> be a good thing.

Having you on line. I have checked your repository for Czech
Bibles, and I have to say that I am not impressed:

* CR český	Czech	Bible Kralická 1613	Czech Kralická Bible 1613

This is not Bible Kralická 1613 (see Luke 2:1 here and on
https://cs.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_kralick%C3%A1_(1918)/Luk%C3%A1%C5%A1#Kapitola_2.
which is truly the 1613 version). This is a wild combination of
versions 1596 and 1613, which was the first attempt to digitize Bible from 1990s.

* CR Češka	Czech	Nova Bible Kralicka	Czech NBK NT

(just noticing with a smile your wild combinations of labelling
Czech language in Czech, we call it “Český jazyk” or “Čeština”)

This is the draft version of Bible (then just New
Testament) which was in the end published as Bible21
(https://www.bible21.cz/online).

So, my conclusion is that the deduplication should go both
ways. I think both of these are technically suspicious texts and
Crosswire has them better (https://is.gd/CeQjT4). Shouldn’t you
follow your own advice and remove these two from your server?

On the side, not about Czech Bibles:

* CR Romanes	Romanes	Le Devleskero Lav Andre Romaňi Čhib 2019	Romani New Testament

This is absolutely fascinating. I haven’t ever
heard about this translation, and frankly I
didn’t know much about Romani Bibles at all. Even
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_translations_into_Romani
doesn’t know about it. Hmm,
https://ebible.org/find/details.php?id=rmc so Romani language is
not sufficiently stabilized, so Czech Romale won’t understand it?

Best,

Matěj
https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

This message has been composed of recycled electrons. None of
these electrons has been harmed or injured in the creation and
transmission of this message but they have been shamelessly
exploited for this use.