[sword-devel] Future changes for FreJND (French Darby version) + Bug in osis2mod (infinite loop depending on versification scheme)

yvand yvand.sword at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 08:51:09 EDT 2021

Dear all,

I am facing a bug with osis2mod. So I am writing in this mailing and I
want to share a minimal/simple OSIS file example.

*Context :
*The Elberfelder version (in German) has been revised recently. The
revised version now follows the versification of the BHS for the Old
Testament. See https://www.csv-bibel.de/ (moreover strongs are available
on their website).
A work is in progress for the French Darby translation, by the BPC
editor (https://editeurbpc.com/). If God's willing, two Darby versions
will be available, printed and downloadable in the future:
- The first version will be very faithful to the original translation
(main changes : versification BHS + add footnotes in the OT for
quotations in the NT + replacement of a few old french words (minimal)).
- Another version will be available with more changes in the text. But
the goal remains to as close to the original as possible. This version
could be called "Darby révisée" (revised Darby). This version will also
follow the BHS versification.
With the BPC editor we plan to offer 2 modules for the French Darby in
the future. The source of those 2 modules (FreJND and a new one) will be
based on OSIS provided by BPC. So the text and the notes will match a
new paper version.

Those bible editors (for Elberfelder and french Darby) trend to
standardize the versification scheme and follow the BHS for the Old
Testament. That's why I tried to find the sword versification which fits
the best with this versification. I found Leningrad which seems to match
BHS but does not offer New Testament…

I tested all sword versifications, but osis2mod fails with some
(infinite loop).

Here is an example of OSIS file :
https://yapper.fr/~yvand/demo-osis2mod.xml.zip

Results:

> Timeout (infinite loop): Calvin, DarbyFr, KJV, KJVA, NRSV, NRSVA,
> Segond, Synodal, SynodalProt, Vulg
> OK: Catholic, Catholic2, German, LXX, Leningrad, Luther, MT, Orthodox

Can you confirm the bug? Where should I report the bug?

Do you plan to add new versification scheme to match those versions?

Blessings in the Lord,

--yvand