[sword-devel] moving away from freenode

Kristof Szabo kristof.szabo at web.de
Thu May 27 01:44:25 EDT 2021

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 6:24 AM Raoul Snyman <raoul at snyman.info> wrote:

> Honestly, I would prefer a Matrix protocol system, if we're going to move
> away
> from IRC. From a freedom and ownership perspective, Discord is worse than
> Freenode.

I don't use IRC actively (actually the only time I was on the IRC channel
of Sword it was through Matrix), but I can recommend Matrix as well: it is
FOSS, supports self-hosting, e2e encryption, it's a modern architecture,
has myriad of desktop/mobile clients, it has a very practical web interface
as well, can be used for video/audio conferences, etc. etc.

I checked Discord's privacy policy the other day: not the platform where
anything sensitive should be discussed -- at least they communicate this in
a transparent way.

Kind regards,
Kristof