[sword-devel] About PreferredCSSXHTML

Tuomas Airaksinen tuomas.airaksinen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 04:05:31 EST 2021

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:57 AM David Haslam <dfhdfh at protonmail.com> wrote:

> NB. Undocumented config keys will now be flagged as exceptions by the
> latest script that Dom uses to prepare submitted modules for release by
> CrossWire.
>
> It’s vital that any new proposals are agreed if such modules are to be
> distributed by CrossWire.

Good point.

> What I wrote earlier was relevant in the context of a non-CrossWire
> repository.
>
> cf. There was a time when some AndBible modules were hosted in an AndBible
> repository that was not in our Master Repositories List

I have And Bible and And Bible Extra (= copy of Xiphos repo) repositories
that are hosted in Github and (meant to be) used only by And Bible.
Github has some bandwidth limitations, so I do not wish it to be included
in MRL, and I offer there only ZIP files.

As a side note, I believe that it would be worthwhile to consider changing
libsword install manager implementation to download zip files instead of
raw files via ftp.

Best regards,
Tuomas

Best regards,

> David
>
> Sent from ProtonMail Mobile
>

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 08:35, Tuomas Airaksinen <
> tuomas.airaksinen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for prompt replies.
>>
>> 1) the conf file is a shared and joint space and we really do not want to
>> introduce per-front-end special values there.
>>

> I would suggest having a namespace prefix with which module makers can add
> also frontend specific options. For example, if there was
> Frontend* prefix, my key would be FrontendAndBibleCSS, which could then be
> deprecated as soon as official config has been specified and supported
> by libs.
>

>> 2) You have clearly thought deeper about the matter than so far anyone of
>> us as far as I can tell from previous discussions on here.
>>

> My draft can be considered as an initial draft suggestion for an official
> sword css specification.
>

>> 3) As far as I can tell not many (any?) modules make specific use of the
>> facility just yet, so we are at a place where we can still just change tack
>> if need be without creating a compatibility gap.
>> 4) users of course might have created their own CSS sheets, seeing the
>> opportunity - and those who did might get hurt if we do something which
>> breaks things. We need to think about that. Though chances are these are
>> very knowledgeable people who probably only need a hint.
>> 5) I am wondering if the name spaces can be created dynamically?
>

> It will require modifying CSS dynamically (adding prefixes), and parsing
> CSS manually is not a good idea.
>
> Can you describe the specific lay out requirements and why they are as
>> they are, aside from the namespace?
>

> Can you specify what you mean? Layout of CSS?
>
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:18 AM refdoc at gmx.net <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
>

>> From: David Haslam
>>

>> Front-ends generally ignore config keys that are not documented in our
>> wiki
>>

>> That is not really relevant. It really is not.

> --
> T: Tuomas

T: Tuomas