[sword-devel] About PreferredCSSXHTML

Tuomas Airaksinen tuomas.airaksinen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 01:29:59 EST 2021

Hi,

I have implemented support for per-module custom CSS for And Bible (to be
in And Bible 3.4, which is planned to be released later this year). I
noticed that there's PreferredCSSXHTML config key for this purpose.
However, CSS for And Bible need to be formatted in a specific way and plain
CSS would mess up things -- I need per-module namespacing because the same
WebView instance can show multiple module content simultaneously in some
contexts (compare view, multi doc view, my notes, study pads etc). In
addition, I also support specifying separate settings for dark night mode.
Thus, I ended up, for now, using a custom AndBibleCSS key instead.

Current draft of how And Bible implements this, can be read here:
https://github.com/AndBible/and-bible/wiki/Custom-CSS-for-modules-for-And-Bible

How are other frontends implementing PreferredCSSXHTML?
Is there something similar implemented elsewhere too, as what I am doing?
Are there any modules using this configuration key in Crosswire or other
public repositories?
Any other thoughts related to my approach?

Best regards,
Tuomas