[sword-devel] ISO language codes

domcox dominique at corbex.org
Tue Jan 12 11:17:26 EST 2021

Jamie writes:

> The Sword config file contains an ISO language code.  Is anyone
> able to tell
> me what this gets used for (and more specifically, whether there
> is any
> requirement as to whether this should be a 2-character code or a
> 3-character
> one)?

I not have much knowledge of this, but after a quick look at the
source code, I saw the ISO language code is used by the
transliteration filter.

ISO language code is  also used by the Xapian search engine, I
suppose we can't search Chinese or Hebrew or English texts the
same way. See: https://xapian.org/docs/stemming.html

And if I recall correctly, ISO language code is used in Lucene
searches by JSword.

> (In fact I see IANA now have a new registry of codes which
> supersedes the
> 2-char and 3-char lists, but it looks as though this merely
> mandates the use
> of the old 2-character codes where available, and 3-character
> otherwise.)

Is there a benefit over the SIL database?

SIL International is the registration authority for ISO-639-3.

"SIL International (formerly known as the Summer Institute of
Linguistics) is a Christian non-profit organization, whose main
purpose is to study, develop and document languages, especially
those that are lesser-known, in order to expand linguistic
knowledge, promote literacy, translate the Christian Bible into
local languages, and aid minority language development."

-- Dom