[sword-devel] Standalone works

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 17:28:49 EST 2021

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 4:22 PM Michael H <cmahte at gmail.com> wrote:

> re: Install Sword Files
>
> (Is/Can) a file extension for standalone Sword files be assigned?  No
> change to the current format within the zip file, but a unique file
> extension instead of .zip would allow filesystem handlers to be able to
> sent the files into the programs on download, or doubleclick.

The engine has no support for wrangling .zip files. I thought I heard rumor
of a front end that did, but I wouldn't swear to it

> The other half of this request: Is there any existing program that handles
> linked files on startup/passover in this way: tread ".swd" files like a
> .zipped module?

If any app has support for those zipped files it *might* be Xiphos? But
please don't quote me on that.

> I'd like to produce standalone works (non-scripture study materials) that
> link to scripture.  Actually I already am producing these... they are just
> currently in pdf form only. I'd like to produce them for sword, but "books"
> as a single category doesn't seem to be able to handle the library I'm
> building... It makes more sense to me to offer the works as an option on a
> library, rather than reproduce the library in an expanded sword repo.

Any reason to not distribute each collection as a separate repository and
offer the files in the same way they are now?

--Greg