[sword-devel] How to fix book names in Ukrainian/Russian

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Apr 23 11:23:52 EDT 2021

Generally, Fr. Cyrille is correct. Specifically, in this instance there is a deficiency in the SWORD engine which will not allow what you wish.

Let me explain a bit.

First, SWORD always overlays a chosen locale on top of English. This means that when choosing, say, Ukrainian, both Луки and Luke will work for the 3rd Gospel. The referencing language in SWORD uses OSIS which has a set of books defined using English names.

That shouldn't pose a problem for you, but does give a bit of background for the real problem...

OSIS (osisRef) and English ranges and verse lists use the three "- , ;" characters for special delimiters, each with a specific meaning. These characters cannot currently be used as part of a localized book name.

Eventually, SWORD should allow localization of verse reference and list symbols, but this will require no longer supporting 2 locales at once (both OSIS / English underlying a selected localization) but will require either the parser to be smarter in determining context within a verse list and determining how to parse symbols (OSIS / English, or using the locale-provided symbol meaning, if they contradict each other), or else the client of the library will need to manually state which mode to use.

Bottom line, right now, "- , ;" cannot be used in localized book names.

I am sorry for the bad news. Welcome! Thank you for your willingness to work together.

Troy