[sword-devel] Roman number converter

Michael H cmahte at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 14:09:53 EDT 2020

I replied privately to Fr Cyrille's question how to make jedit macros work
by mistake.

Here's the "howto" in case anyone later seeks to use this "script".

$sudo apt install jedit

Then run jedit at least once.

$jedit

Then put this file in .jedit/Macros

$cp AV_Fix_Roman_to_Decimal.bsh ~/.jedit/Macros/AV_Fix_Roman_to_Decimal.bsh

Then load your text into jedit, and select on the menu "Macros" --->
AV_Fix_Roman_to_Decimal

This specific script looks for lower case roman numerals that terminate
with a dot and a space.  This prevents the most false positives, but leaves
roman numerals that have OCR issues (roman numbers that terminate with
commas or nothing, and those that don't have a trailing space.) However, I
found this got me to 98% done, and had nothing I had to change back, where
more aggressive finds tended to over convert and I had to revert items from
roman numbers back to letters inside parts of words.

But it will at least give you something to start from for your use case.

Jedit that comes with Ubuntu (I'm still on 18) is very slow with large
files. The developers claim to have fixed it with jedit 5.6, but I haven't
seen success at speeding up when I tried preview builds of 5.6 (yet).