[sword-devel] Maximum line length 8192 in RawGenBook modules‽‽‽

David Haslam dfhdfh at protonmail.com
Sun May 31 16:27:01 EDT 2020

To developers of the SWORD API and the utilities for building modules...

I have just examined the raw GenBook module Westminster.

    SourceType=OSIS

I found that 6 of the 5771 reference elements are "broken" by having a line break occurring badly part way through the XML item.

Upon closer inspection, these line breaks occurred at column 8192 when the .bdt file was open in a text editor.

This indicates that there is a problem if a line of text in an OSIS XML file exceeds 8192 characters in length!

There are 933 lines of text in the .bdt file, of which 24 are length 8192. There are no lines longer than this.
It's merely fortuitous that I happened to find 6 of these 24 lines while I was researching reference elements.

    What is the root cause of this issue?
    How can this issue be fixed?

Best regards,

David