[sword-devel] How to access raw OSIS files

Michael H cmahte at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:56:13 MST 2020

Greg,

Diatheke on Ubuntu 18.04LTS is broken since Ubuntu 18 released. The bugs
were identified and fixed by this team on around march of 2018, but the way
the features freeze on Ubuntu, it remains broken. trying to update only the
sword package without updating the core is locked by dependencies.

I had to build a virtual session of ubuntu 19.04 to make it work. but in
19.04 diatheke has no obvious bugs, other than the very last few modules
from Cyrille need a more modern Sword engine, and there for a while all of
ebible claimed it needed newer sword engine.

Meanwhile, SIL provides Ubuntu packages for Bible translation programs
Paratext, and Fieldworks Translation editor, and maintains a linux (wine)
port of the LOGOS Bible study program for Ubuntu LTS.  So, there's more
than just a passing coincidence here.  It's very likely that someone in the
business of developing Bible software on Linux will end up on the Ubuntu
LTS software platform.