[sword-devel] How to access raw OSIS files

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:37:24 MST 2020

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 5:27 PM Philip White <philipwhite at cedarville.edu>
wrote:

> Thanks for the responses. I will consider using the Sword library. One
> reason I am reluctant to do so is my preference for C over C++.

There is a C file in the bindings that allows you to access the library
through C instead of C++. You can find the header here:
https://www.crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/include/flatapi.h

Another is my preference for building software on top of standards
> instead of ad-hoc knowledge.

I'm not sure I see where your objection to a well received and very open
scripture software project that is completely FOSS would have objections,
then.

> > This is the beauty of the Sword library. It hides all the rest of those
> questions:
> > 1) Which format did it come from? OSIS? ThML? Who even knows?
> > 2) What is the source of the original text? Could be nearly anywhere.
> > 3) What is the source encoding? Could be lots of things. Sword will
> normalize this all to UTF-8 for you.
>
> All three of these points seem less about the library, and more about
> the final modules themselves. Does the library itself normalize this,
> or is it normalized when the modules are created? I guess I thought
> that all modules came from OSIS sources, which I guess is incorrect.

It is not correct. It is the primary way that scripture modules are
accepted from submissions, but it is not at all the case that all modules
come from OSIS. It's not even the original source in some cases - lots of
them come from USFM or USX, then get converted to OSIS before being turned
into Sword modules.

Is there any reason that diatheke cannot fulfil your needs?

--Greg