[sword-devel] Bible in Basic English

Michael H cmahte at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 11:36:47 MST 2020

Is there documentation anywhere about the specific claim that the Bible in
Basic English is in the Public Domain?

As of November 2019, the Wikipedia article on Bible in Basic English claims
the work is copyrighted. It appears it was created by an editor within
Wikipedia, which amounts to creating a falsehood, but just in case there's
a IP grab going on.. does anyone have documentation of this version
regarding its works copyright status?

I know the story (published with no copyright statement in the USA, forever
making it public domain here.) I even emailed Cambridge University Press
back in 2013(?) seeking confirmation and my memory of the response was
"copyright now applies only in the UK proper. we wouldn't seek any
enforcement outside of the UK." But I can't locate this email, and fear it
was from an account lost in the Yahoo ownership change.

I have this work slated as source for many remixes of Scripture (among
several others.) That is, I'm working on several works which are nearly
100% extracts from scripture, but reorganized into a narrative or topical
format:

1. The Jesus Remix: Report on the History of Jesus.
2. The Spirit Remix: Report on the Beginning of the Christian Church.
3. Inception: Report on the beginning
4. Journey: Report on the Exodus
5. Kingdoms: Report on the history of Kingdoms of Israel
6. Exile: Report on the Exile and return
7. The Teachings of Jesus
8. The Laws of Old Testament and their New Testament Responses
. . . .

While there are many public domain or relaxed license versions to choose
from, BBE provides the largest audience, in that it can be understood well
by more people on the planet than any other work currently in public domain
status. I am planning to also produce these works with more precise
language WEB-BE and the (Unlocked) Dynamic (English) Bible, I still hope to
have the BBE editions available to provide the widest possible reach.