[sword-devel] NA28 shows no verses

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Sat Jun 20 16:51:03 EDT 2020

On 02.06.20 03:22, Greg Hellings wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 3:57 PM Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org>
> wrote:
>> Some of this delay is my fault.  The "unique per user" key recognition was
>> added to SWORD about 8 months or so and we haven't released a new official
>> stable branch yet.  trunk is pretty stable and I use it for Bishop
>> releases, but other frontends have policies to only use official stable
>> branch releases.  I must be remembering wrong, but I thought I heard
>> Bibletime reported it was working ok in their latest release so I thought
>> they were using trunk.
>>
> Bibletime compiles against trunk, I'm sure, as part of its testing matrix.
> But I don't believe it uses trunk for releases. I'm fairly sure your work
> on Bishop is the only one that leverages unreleased code other than the
> couple of immediately necessary patches that Karl mentioned I grabbed for
> Fedora repos.

Distros usually package a specific version of Sword, and we want
BibleTime to support at least the latest stable version of Sword and not
rely on features in SVN trunk. This also helps packagers. We might
consider using SVN trunk for snaps, flatpaks, Windows and OS X where we
have no other options but control the entire stack. In my opinion,
bundling libraries with BibleTime (binaries or source) is generally a
bad idea for multiple reasons, mostly related to packaging,
compatibility and security.