[sword-devel] Not user-friendly behavior in commentaries (should be continuous)

yvand yvand.sword at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 15:51:33 EDT 2020

Thank you for the clarification and help.

> Don't duplicate:
> As Fr. Cyrille has pointed out, SWORD supports entry linking. So, you
> don't need to duplicate anything, just supply all the verses to which
> an entry should be associated.
That's exactly that I expected (avoid duplication and use entry linking
internally). But in any frontends I checked, the module FreCJE is not
displayed correctly. Nothing is displayed at Gen.1.2 for instance
(although a commentary is declared for "Gen.1.1-Gen.1.19" in OSIS).

> Entries won't repeat in display is done right:
> As Greg points out, SWORD has an iteration feature called
> skipConsecutiveLinks which is turned on by default for commentaries.
> This allows iterating over, say, a chapter, and only getting one
> occurrence for each entry which is linked to consecutive verses.
>
> Having said all of this, depending on the utility used to import your
> module, some are more lenient than others. Some likely just send the
> osisID to SWORD's verse parser which will parse a range, so you might
> get lucky. But if you want things to always work, then you should
> encode your module correctly.
>
> OSIS also includes an osisRef type attribute for commentaries called
> annotateRef which indicates that the element contains commentary text
> for a verse range. I wouldn't be surprised if DM already supports this
> in osis2mod, but I wouldn't count on it without checking.

My module uses OSIS commentary syntax. I am using of course annotateRef:

> annotateRef="Gen.1.1-Gen.1.19">Hello world!</div>

Currently all tested frontends show nothing at Gen.1.2. I guess this is
either a bug in mod2osis (import tool) or in all frontends (is it
possible?). You can check my module, it is available in raw repository,
it is called FreCJE.

*Can somebody confirm osis2mod supports correctly entry linking? Can I
check with mod2imp or mod2osis is there are entry linking stored in the
module?
*