[sword-devel] Not user-friendly behavior in commentaries (should be continuous)

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Jun 1 14:49:20 EDT 2020

As David has said, please be careful about your syntax between osisID and osisRef. osisID="Gen.7.17-Gen.8.5" is invalid. This would be a valid osisRef.

osisIDs are how you assign text to a verse entry in SWORD. osisIDs do not take ranges; they take lists.

Don't duplicate:
As Fr. Cyrille has pointed out, SWORD supports entry linking. So, you don't need to duplicate anything, just supply all the verses to which an entry should be associated.

Entries won't repeat in display is done right:
As Greg points out, SWORD has an iteration feature called skipConsecutiveLinks which is turned on by default for commentaries. This allows iterating over, say, a chapter, and only getting one occurrence for each entry which is linked to consecutive verses.

Having said all of this, depending on the utility used to import your module, some are more lenient than others. Some likely just send the osisID to SWORD's verse parser which will parse a range, so you might get lucky. But if you want things to always work, then you should encode your module correctly.

OSIS also includes an osisRef type attribute for commentaries called annotateRef which indicates that the element contains commentary text for a verse range. I wouldn't be surprised if DM already supports this in osis2mod, but I wouldn't count on it without checking.

Hope this clears some things up,

Troy