[sword-devel] Win32 FileMgr Subclass

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 09:19:37 EDT 2020

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020, 07:42 Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:

> I know Greg has sent me a link to the patch you guys apply to get Xiphos
> to run well on Win32, but I have searched through all my past emails
> with every relevant term I can thing of, and still can't find it.  I am
> sorry,  Could you possibly sent that again? I think you guys were using
> glib routines.  If possible, I'd like to include something in SWORD more
> generic, possibly using native Win32 calls.  I've done something similar
> for a couple projects in the past and need to find all that code.  The
> only one I keep thinking of off the top of my head is swordreader's
> wince layer, which I believe is similar to win32 methods, but might need
> some adapting.

Here is the existing patch which applies pretty cleanly on 1.8.1.
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mingw-sword/blob/master/f/xiphos_sword.patch

I attempted, once, to wrap the Sword calls the way you propose, but at the
time my knowledge of UTF-16 and file pointers was woefully inadequate to
get it right. The Windows native file calls only speak UTF-16, while their
standard "open" methods only speak CP-1252.

Thanks for tackling this!

--Greg