[sword-devel] Wiki

Eric Gillespie brickviking at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 05:17:57 EDT 2020

Warning: long read ahead, I've been cobbling this together over the
period of a couple of hours and it's had six edits, gained lots of
lines, lost quite a few others.
Initial Problem: Importing nrsv.imp from my own sources wasn't
resulting in 3Jn1:15 rendering in output (more on that later).

The reason I was compiling Sword is because there's something a bit
weird when I import text from some NRSV text I have, and I was hoping
that some of the recent code put in since 1.8.1 was issued would help.
I've got the NRSV text in imp format, so I ran the following:
imp2vs -z z -b 4 -v NRSV NRSV.imp -o /home/user/.sword/modules/texts/ztext/nrsv
adding III John 1:15 length 91/91
(At this time I did not have a Versification=NRSV line in nrsv.conf)

What I get out of the front ends (xiphos (sword-1.8.900.3754),
bibletime (sword-1.8), lookup and diatheke (sword-1.8.900.3754)) is:
no 3Jn 1:15 (there is one in NRSV).
* mod2imp also shows 3Jn 1:15 in Jude 0:0's position:
$$$Jude 0:0
Peace to you. The .....

So I changed tacks. I slightly modified nrsv.conf and added this line
(it wasn't there previously):   Versification=NRSV

Amazingly, I now get a 3Jn 1:15, but now Jude 1:1 is a bit munted and
the book only lasts for 24 verses, it's supposed to be 25. That has a
knock-on effect to Revelation, of course.
* xiphos (in italics, preceding Jude 1:1) Jude, a servant of Jesus
Christ and brother of James, .... Jude 1:1 May mercy, peace, and love
.... 1:2 Beloved, .....
* original imp source:
>$$$Jude 1:1
>Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James, ....
>$$$Jude 1:2
>May mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance.
>$$$Jude 1:25
>to the only God our Savior, through...

Converting the text back out of the module results in this output:
>mod2imp NRSV -s >> myfile.imp
>$$$Jude 1:0
>Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James, ....
>$$$Jude 1:2
>May mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance.
>$$$Jude 1:25

(Yes, that's a blank line there)
>$$$Revelation 1:0
>The revelation of Jesus Christ ...

So. Where do I go from here? This module is only ever going to be for
my personal consumption as I don't have the relevant publisher's
permission to upload it nor would I undertake that load.

Regards, Brickviking (a.k.a. DrSmokey)