[sword-devel] Sword for the Blind

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Mon Feb 24 14:42:40 MST 2020

Hello,

On 24.02.20 23:08, Don Elbourne wrote:
> Have any of the Sword front-ends been tested to see how well they do
> with screen readers, used by the blind and visually impaired?

Being involved with the BibleTime frontend, I can say that to my
knowledge BibleTime has not been tested.

There is a long-standing low-priority issue for this thou:
  https://github.com/bibletime/bibletime/issues/5

We haven't given this issue much thought, but it would probably require
a redesign of the BibleTime frontend, to the extent that writing an
entirely new, a more accessible frontend, might be a better option,
because it might not be straightforward to make some of our GUI flows
usable with text-to-speech engines.

While BibleTime uses the Qt toolkit for the GUI and the latter has at
least some support for accessibility interfaces, we have not had any
code changes being introduced for accessibility as far as I know.

I guess many (including myself) don't have a much knowledge (let alone
experience) about how to develop and test accessible frontends, so any
guidance on this matter would be welcome. What environments, software or
screen readers are used, are there any guides available for best
practices (e.g. like Web Content Accessibility Guidelines are for the
web) etc?

Best regards,