[sword-devel] Ezra Project 0.14.0 released

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 09:20:36 EDT 2020

Tobias,

I applaud your efforts! I just pulled the latest git, built, and am running
it on my local system. A few things came to my notice from a usability
perspective:

1) I absentmindedly selected a random module and pulled up a random book -
Ecclesiastes in the Westcott-Hort Greek NT module. Of course, Ecclesiastes
was grayed out in the book selection box, but that didn't stop me from
selecting it. As a result, I sat and stared at the spinning UI widget for
an embarrassingly long period of time before I realized it was a PEBKAC
situation and not a technical one. Perhaps disabling the selection (or even
display?) of unavailable portions of a text would be an improvement, here?

2) When I did finally get around to selecting a passage available in
Westcott-Hort, the tab title is updated to reflect "II John [WH2006]", but
the "Book" drop down still just says, "Book". Perhaps it could be updated,
as well? I would expect the UI component I just clicked on to be the one
that updates! The same goes for the search entry.

3) I really liked the touch where it searched a new module automatically
when I switched modules! That was nice!

4) When I loaded a verse and clicked "Compare Translations", I really like
the box that pops up. That's a nice touch I haven't seen anywhere else.
However, the title bar for it reads "Comparing translations for None" when
accessed from searches. It properly shows "Comparing translations for
Matthew 1:1" when I access it directly from the text.

5) Looking at the text window, it was not immediately obvious that the
numbers running down the left hand side were chapter numbers. I thought
they were allowing me to select verses and get more information on the
verse itself. So when I clicked on one, it surprised me to be suddenly
taken to another place in Matthew. Perhaps a header in the column would be
appropriate?

6) Something is weird about the rendering of footnotes in the ASV module.
Instead of having superscript characters, the numbers (1, 2, 3) appear in
the text directly, and the footnotes appear directly at the end of each
verse like "1) some note text". This isn't the case with other modules I
tested, so something is going on that's different. Most likely a difference
in the rendered HTML from the module. ASV isn't particularly necessary,
it's just one I happened to have installed and could take a look at.

A quick glance through, those were some of the things that just came up to
my eyes, quickly.

Also, I'd like to re-offer: if you can decompose the build/install process
from needing to bundle SWORD directly, I am happy to work with you on
packaging it directly for Fedora's main repositories.

--Greg