[sword-devel] trying to get proper xhtml to work in webkit

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Fri Apr 17 04:33:26 MST 2020

On 4/16/20 11:08 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:
> <!DOCTYPE html> will give you HTML 5, not XHTML. XHTML would be much
> wordier:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_type_declaration#XHTML_Basic_DTDs

Well... That link itself says:

    In XHTML5 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XHTML5> the |DOCTYPE| must
    be a case-sensitive match of the string "|<!DOCTYPE html>|".

So I'm already confused. Didn't take much, huh?

>     - begins with <?xml...> line
>

> Doesn't seem to be strictly needed by browsers for XHTML rendering,
> but it shouldn't hurt, either.
I used it based on the examples seen at
https://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2019-March/046664.html
which I saved at the time and used as a reference now.

>     - changes content type to application/xhtml+xml (also tried just
>     xhtml, no diff)
>

> That's not necessary to get you into XHTML mode.
OK, keep that thought in mind -- now, ready for my next confusion? Here
goes:
>  They only thing they care about is the Content-Type: in the HTTP
> header. Of course, you don't have an HTTP header, but surely you have
> a way to set it to "application/xhtml+xml"?
See, on the one hand you say "not necessary" but in your next breath you
say it's "the only thing they care about." OK, which is it?

There has been this "meta" directive in the header to induce general
HTMLness via content-type since years before I got involved, and I've
never touched that particular aspect of it until now.

Trust me, I remain wide open to suggestions, but just in your one
response here, you've given me 2 completely self-contradictory
indications, one about DOCTYPE and one about content-type.

Small wonder people have trouble writing code to deal with this, I guess.