[sword-devel] Platform for the distribution of non-free Sword Modules

Tobias Klein contact at tklein.info
Wed Mar 13 00:24:12 MST 2019

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 5:34 PM Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net
> <mailto:refdoc at gmx.net>> wrote:
>
>     I would actively oppose this proposal.
>     Leaving aside a few popular but otherwise irrelevant texts (NIV etc)
>

> Why do you say "irrelevant", when there are regular requests from
> people - both like Tobais as well as people more meekly asking in
> other fora - for exactly that module (and others; NRSV is of keen
> interest to me along with the Jerusalem/New Jerusalem Bibles and a UBS
> 5th ed complete with apparatus). What is "irrelevant" about a module
> that users are requesting?
>
> --Greg

I agree with Greg, that relevance is really defined by what users are
requesting. I guess it may be a discussion about values also.
I fully support the wish to get bible translations out to any people for
free, if possible. That does not have to turn into a constraint, though.
Especially in the western world, most Christians I know use modern
(non-free) translations for their personal bible study. And that's what
should be possible with open source software as well!

With the availability of non-free bible translations, the Sword
ecosystem would

a) gain many more users
b) with more users also attract more developers
c) with more developers also gain interesting new features and
improvements in open source bible software

Best regards,
Tobias