[sword-devel] New/modern (copyrighted) bible translations

Michael Johnson Michael at eBible.org
Tue Mar 12 18:48:14 MST 2019

For what it is worth (probably not much), I have a repeatable conversion script from Lockman markup (latest edition), and have converted the NASB 1995, the Amplified Bible, and 2 of their Spanish translations to Sword format and Browser Bible format. I threw the former away, for lack of permission to publish, and posted the latter on https://eBible.org/study/ and https://cyber.Bible/study/. The impression I got from Pike Lambeth was that the long delays and history with CrossWire had kind of soured things,
so I just dropped it with him and thanked him for the permission I got, which was only for those two specific web sites and that particular format. Anyway, the moral to this story is that we should not waste Bible copyright owner's time or promise to do something we cannot deliver in a timely manner.

I appreciate the ability to display a proprietary translation alongside the others on the same web page, but honestly, it kind of leaves me filling empty compared to what you can do with the freely distributable and sharable Bible translations that are Public Domain, Creative Commons licensed, or otherwise explicitly permitted for use in all Bible study apps and formats.

--
signature

Aloha,
*/Michael Johnson/**
PO BOX 881143 • PUKALANI HI 96788-1143*• USA
mljohnson.org <http://mljohnson.org> • Phone: +1 808-333-6921 • Skype: kahunapule