[sword-devel] New/modern (copyrighted) bible translations

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Mar 12 18:29:53 MST 2019

Dear Tobias,

I would encourage you to choose a specific Bible you would like to see
offered.  Contact the copyright holder and explain what we do, explain
that we would love for them to sell their own Bible for our software,
that we don't want any royalties for them to do this, and that we will
do all the legwork to make their text work with our software.  Then do
the legwork to get their data, convert it to a point where they are
happy with the display in most of our major frontends, encipher it with
our locking mechanism, and give them the unlock key to sell.  We're
happy to distribute the enciphered module for them, they simply need to
sell the unlock key from their website.  This is our current policy with
copyright holders.  I haven't had any copyright holder say they are not
interested in this process.  There may not be a problem to solve, just
work to do.

There are many issues with another organization selling Bibles for
CrossWire.  They would need to negotiate with copyright holders as if
they represent CrossWire.  All user support is likely to come to us, no
matter what arrangement is made. e.g., if a purchased module doesn't
work well in XXX frontend, they are users are almost certain to complain
to us or the publisher-- neither of which are actually involved in the
quality of the module.  Some have done this in the past with good
motives and not so good motives (making a markup profit for simply
selling others' Bibles running on others' software).  It messes up our
promoted strategy: let the publisher sell their own material, e.g., we
approach the publisher and explain to them how they can sell their own
Bibles and other material with no middle man, and they say, "Hey, I
thought we already had a deal with CrossWire."  We have always
discouraged 3rd parties from trying to sell both our software and also
other's material for our software.

Anyway, the point is, there are a ton of emails about this over the past
20 years.  You can read them all on our mailing list archives.  It comes
up quite often.  I believe we have a good plan and an accepted software
solution to the problem.  The bottom line is that most of us are
working, as Michael Johnson says, primarily to bring the Word of God
freely to the lost who can't otherwise read and study the Word of God--
it is not most of our volunteers' goal to accomplish this.

Finally, I reluctantly bring up one very sore point of example:  Years
ago Lockman was happy to sell their NASB Bible for our software with the
process as described above.  They gave us their data, including a
Spanish translation and their Greek and Hebrew lexicons, which they
wanted us to convert.  Years went by with the conversion process
changing at least 3 hands.  We attained a reasonable conversion for the
Bible and permission to display this on our web study tool:

http://crosswire.org/study/passagestudy.jsp?mod=NASBnew

My requirements before release were:

1) a repeatable conversion script from Lockman provided data to SWORD module

2) successful conversion of all 4 data modules, as mentioned above

3) reasonable functionality on SWORDweb, BibleDesktop, Xiphos, and
Bibletime.

Each person taking up the conversion effort, including me at one point,
stalled somewhere along the line.  I still have my repeatable conversion
process for what you see at the link above (I am not sure if my effort
was mod=NASB or mod=NASBnew or one other attempt), which works
relatively well in SWORDweb.  I never worked on the lexica.  I think my
script should work on the Spanish Bible.  I don' t remember which
frontends reported that things were working.  At lease one person after
me took up the effort when I stalled (Greg maybe?), Chris and DM had a
go before me, I think.  This might be a bit of an exception, as the data
Lockman gave us had a super odd encoding, especially for the lexica.  My
personal feeling with regard to our failure as a team is that, to my
knowledge, no one taking up the task reused the code from those who had
gone before.  My conversion would have been make + sed + C++, I would
guess DM would have used Java, Chris: perl, Greg... ???  Anyway, it
wasn't an issue with the publisher.  They were happy to sell their text
for our software.  They didn't even mind the single unlock key mechanism
for all users, before we added the ability to generate unique keys for
each user.

Hope this explains a bit and doesn't open old wounds too widely,

Troy