[sword-devel] New/modern (copyrighted) bible translations

Tobias Klein contact at tklein.info
Sun Mar 10 10:53:02 MST 2019

On 10.03.19 17:26, David Haslam wrote:
> We already provide a module encryption feature. Copyright owners
> themselves are expected to manage the user access to unlock keys. Only
> a few publishers have so far chosen to avail themselves of this
> facility. One that has is the publisher of the NET Bible.

The question is whether that is going to happen with the given
constraints. If copyright owners have to do that work, then they may not
want that. But if that digital infrastructure would be managed by the
organization that distributes the actual bible software modules
(CrossWire), it may turn out as an enabler!

Have you guys thought about a different approach concerning copyrighted
modules, but didn't pursue it, because it would require too much
maintenance effort? I would like to understand the motivation a bit
more, thanks for helping me understand.

I think CrossWire, Sword and all the frontends would gain a much bigger
user base if modern translations would be available as Sword modules :).

Best regards,
Tobias