[sword-devel] New/modern (copyrighted) bible translations

Tobias Klein contact at tklein.info
Sun Mar 10 08:31:06 MST 2019

On 10.03.19 15:44, David Haslam wrote:
> And when I was at the Digital Bible Summit in Germany during 2012 we
> were even actively encouraged to apply.
Oh cool, I didn't even know that such an event took place over here.

> I attended by invitation. The organisers were fully aware of my role
> in CrossWire.
>
> Aside: CrossWire is a non-income Society, so the question of making a
> payment to a copyright owner for a distribution license simply does
> not arise.

I guess the following would be required:

- A non-profit organisation, that is legally allowed to charge their
users to pay for the license fees.
- Some kind of payment / unlock system integrated with sword
- Some additional administration efforts due to that
- Dealing with the fiscal system and your donors every year

In Germany it's pretty easy to set up non profit orgs like that. You
just need the man power for it ...
There's actually a well known and big open source project that runs its
organization based on a non-profit in Germany (KDE e.v.
<https://ev.kde.org/> for the KDE desktop).

Best regards,
Tobias