[sword-devel] Copyright question about sharing anki deck created from Sword modules

Peter Von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Thu Jun 20 06:39:04 EDT 2019

Dear Pierre,

Many thanks for asking.

> Von: "pierre amadio" <amadio.pierre at gmail.com>

> I am not sure what can and what cannot be done as far as licensing is concerned.
>
> * Licences of the involved Sword modules I am interested in:
>
> byz.conf:DistributionLicense=Creative Commons: by-nc-sa

Check the Creative Commons website for the exact terms of this license.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/
It does seem to me you can do what you want to do here as long as you stick to the full set of terms. But please check yourself and do not take my opinion for gospel.

> morphgnt.conf:DistributionLicense=Copyrighted; Permission to
> distribute granted to CrossWire

You can not use this text from us but will need to go back to the publisher and copyright owner and ask for yourself. Ask for the text and for the permissions. Please do not ask for use of the CrossWire module but for their text and their permission

> oshb.conf:DistributionLicense=Public Domain

Seems fine to me

> strongsrealgreek.conf:DistributionLicense=Public Domain

Seems fine to me

> strongsrealhebrew.conf:DistributionLicense=Public Domain

Seems fine to me

> I am not a lawyer, and do not really understand if "derivative works"
> (is that the correct term for an Anki deck based on a Sword module ?)
> redistribution should follow the same rules as the full module, but in
> doubt, i am assuming it is (if you know i am wrong, please let me
> know).

Anything which takes something and makes it something else is derivative. It seems that this is what you are doing.

Peter