[sword-devel] Copyright question about sharing anki deck created from Sword modules

pierre amadio amadio.pierre at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 02:39:01 EDT 2019

Hello.

I wrote a python script that generate anki (https://apps.ankiweb.net/)
flashcard deck based on Sword modules that includes Strongs number.

https://github.com/pierre-amadio/SwordSandBox/blob/master/python/ankistuff/create-anki-deck.py

For a given book, it generate cards where the question field is a set
of all the variant forms of a Strongs's word, and a sample list of
sentences where the word occurs.
The answer field is the Strongs's entry (from the Xiphos strongsreal* modules).

If possible, I would like to share a set of decks in ankweb as well as
on some form of web hosting somewhere (if you have room on a server
and are willing to host those decks, le me know).

I am not sure what can and what cannot be done as far as licensing is concerned.

* Licences of the involved Sword modules I am interested in:

byz.conf:DistributionLicense=Creative Commons: by-nc-sa
morphgnt.conf:DistributionLicense=Copyrighted; Permission to
distribute granted to CrossWire
oshb.conf:DistributionLicense=Public Domain
strongsrealgreek.conf:DistributionLicense=Public Domain
strongsrealhebrew.conf:DistributionLicense=Public Domain

* Licence of decks posted in the ankiweb repository:
https://ankiweb.net/account/terms
Excerpt:
"""
When you share a deck, you will be required to assert that it is
entirely your own work, or that you have obtained a license from the
intellectual property holder to share the material here
When you download a deck that someone has shared, the deck author
grants you a permanent, non-revocable, worldwide, royalty free,
non-exclusive license to use the material in your personal studies.
This license is for personal use only, and the deck may not be
redistributed, re-uploaded, published, or used for any other purposes
without explicit permission from the copyright holder.
"""

If possible, i d like to give permission to redistribue/change/whatever.

* Licence I plan to distribute decks hosted on a simple web server:
Creative Common
CC BY-NC-SA if needed because of BYZ
or simply CC BY-SA if possible.

I am not a lawyer, and do not really understand if "derivative works"
(is that the correct term for an Anki deck based on a Sword module ?)
redistribution should follow the same rules as the full module, but in
doubt, i am assuming it is (if you know i am wrong, please let me
know).

It looks to me it would be ok to redistributes the deck on ankiweb and
under a CC licence except for the MorphGnt based deck for wich
crosswire has a right to redistribute but not me, nor ankiweb.

That s unfortunate as the only other greek new testament with strong
module i found (BYZ) does not come with accent and spritits.

Does any of you knows if the above assumptions are correct ?
Does any of you knows of a greek new testament module with strongs
words _and_ accents ?

Have a nice day !