[sword-devel] Afrikaans [was: Translators Needed, Any Language]

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Jun 12 13:37:09 EDT 2019

Dear Fr. Cyrille,

Comments inline below.

On 6/12/19 12:45 AM, Cyrille wrote:
> Troy, why don't you not put bishop on the open gitlab (or git
> permission on git.crosswire?)? It would be very easier to help you
> with git...

I am not sure I understand.  We do have Bishop on our gitlab server:

https://git.crosswire.org/main/bishop/

> For Sword I have also a question. How to automatically know if new
> files are added? I propose an it-utf8.conf, already merge in
> http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/locales.d, but I also propose
> later an update very important for the fr-utf8.conf and it-utf8.conf,
> but it is not yet merged with the source.
> If you have all on git I can propose a merge request and for you it is
> easier to merge (it or not). And I can automatically follow the
> progress of the work.

SWORD authoritative repo is still SVN. For updates, you can subscribe
to: http://crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/sword-cvs

archives: http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-cvs/

The primary reason I haven't switched this yet is that we have many
people with access to various parts of that repo.  Some can modify
tests, some the build system, some filters, only a few can modify the
core lib source, etc.  I don't want to control all the merge requests to
that repository.  People have been delegated the authority to manage
their parts of the tree and have full write permissions.  I get emails
when people commit and can view their diffs in the emails.  I regularly
review what is committed and comment if I feel the need.  I don't have a
good solution for this access management with git.  I know how git would
suggest I do it.  Let everyone fork, modify their fork, and submit pull
requests.  But then I become the bottleneck if I don't merge in a timely
fashion, and also I have to remember who has access to what, "Should
this person have permission to change this or that."  With SVN we have
an access file which contains groups of files named appropriately and we
grant contributes full write access to the level and portions we are
comfortable letting them have full write access to those portions of the
authoritative repository.

> Last question: is it possible to use a unique conf file, with books,
> preferred abbreviations, and book abbreviations together?

I am not sure I understand your question.

The _abbrev.conf files in the source should probably be retired now that
we have a proper [Pref Abbrevs] section in the locale file.  I can see a
use for these possibly if, e.g., a user is using a desktop app but on a
very small screen and wants the full book names to also be short.

Hope this helps,

Troy