[sword-devel] Second versions, Scottish Metric Psalter

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sun Jan 13 12:51:28 MST 2019

A few thoughts...

How do we envisage a frontend displaying this text?  Do we expect each
frontend to have special logic for displaying if there is a variation of
the chapter?  Consider all the various display cases: single Bible view,
parallel Bible view, search results, etc...  For example, if this module
is included in a parallel display with a second module (say, Hebrew),
what do we expect to happen if a chapter is displayed which includes an
alternative chapter?

I don't have any good ideas which avoid frontends including special
logic for something like this, which isn't reasonable.  We do have at
least one other scenario which is similar: Rahlfs' LXX, which includes
alternate traditions for books.  We also struggled with the best way to
capture and display this.  More difficult, Ralhfs uses a differing
versification for alternate book traditions.  We did proof of concepts
with adding Alt books to an LXX versification, allowing LXX Book
versifications to have enough chapter, book max to cover either
tradition, creating a single module, having 2 modules-- the second
having only the alternate traditions.  I don't recall where we left off
on that or what strategy our current Rahlfs Bible uses.  Our CATSS LXX
GenBook includes book traditions as 'A' and 'B',

http://crosswire.org/study/bookdisplay.jsp?mod=LXXM

But that just punts on the problem and uses GenBook because doesn't need
to solve the problem of relating 'A' and 'B' together somehow.

Just some thoughts,

Troy