[sword-devel] New Release

Tom Sullivan info at beforgiven.info
Thu Aug 29 08:49:06 MST 2019

Y'all:

This is a bit late, but I have just found something odd for which I have
no explanation.

Due to the way some Python modules handle XML, non-ascii characters may
be converted to the form &#xxxx; where xxxx is a decimal unicode
character. Such characters, such as Hebrew letters, do not appear in
diatheke output. They also do not show in Xiphos. They *do* appear in
BibleDesktop which uses jsword.

A Python program to convert all such characters to actual UTF-8 Hebrew
solves the problem. (I do use the -N option in osis2mod.)

Related to this, I have noticed for a long time that some other
characters such as curly quotes also do not appear in diatheke or Xiphos.

Obviously, some characters *cannot* appear in xml because they have
syntactical meaning in xml. Thus they must use the &#xxxx; format or
other escape method. So how should they be handled so osis2mod works
with them.

Advice? Comments? Could this be something that could be fixed in Sword?

Thanks.

Tom

Tom Sullivan
info at BeForgiven.INFO